If there is one item we must keep in our closet, it for sure is a white shirt. We saw it last season, we saw it this falls season, we see it all-the-time. One may think: “Ohh..peshsh. That’s just basics. Anyone has a white shirt lying around at home!” But my dear friend, don’t be fooled. Wearing a white shirt and looking great in it requires true talent. And because designers know the problem of the fine line between a great outfit and a catastrophe, designers such as Thakoon and Margaret Howell put a huge emphasis on the white shirt in their collections for S/S 13 to show everyone: A white shirt is not equal a boring white shirt when styled with some pep.
Have you ever considered wearing a shirt and then stood in front of the mirror realizing you look just like your teacher from elementary school? Yes. That happens to people. A lot, I dare say. It’s not always easy to find the right combinations in your wardrobe. All those questions go through your head: Stand-up collar, yes or no? Should I leave the top two buttons open? Maybe the third one too? Or will it look too casual then already? If I keep all three closed, I look like I just moved out from the monastery, right..? Oh boy, GREAT.
Well, the clue is simple. Match it with fabulous bottoms.
- If you wear it rather strict and serious looking at the top: Go light with the bottoms. Choose skirts, a good fitted jeans or something colorful. Contrast is what will take it down a notch.
- For the office. Wearing a sweater over it, gives your complete outfit a sophisticated but not too business-y look and you can easily change out of the sweater and into a blazer for meetings.
- The button question: Depending on who you meet and where you go you should consider your opposite’s “position” here. It’s okay to keep the shirt a few buttons open on a hot summer day in Mexico when only your wife can enjoy the view on your hairy chest. ;) I am sure if you were to be on a business trip, your boss wouldn’t be too thrilled. And ladies, don’t we all know..its far more interesting if men do not know the color of our bras the second we meet :)
- White shirt is not equal white shirt. Especially quality-wise. Believe me, people DO see the difference! Also shirts come in all kinds of shapes and varieties. Especially for the ladies. Balloon-sleves, high-neck, ruffled front, tie-front, oversized, embellished collar..you name it!
- Use your shirt to make a statement. Wear it as a dress. Wear it over a top, simply open..oh there are so many possibilities!
- Just have fun with it and experience since adding a white shirt to your outfit is one of the most easiest ways to look ravishing in seconds.
Now, what do you think about all this furor: What’s your favourite outfit combination when wearing a white shirt? What brands do you prefer most??